Mark Chapman Denied Parole Again.

Mark Chapman, the man who killed John Lennon, has been denied bail for the sixth time, nearly 30 years after shooting the former Beatle outside his New York home.

From The Telegraph:

A parole board decided not to release Chapman after interviewing him on Tuesday by teleconference at Attica Correctional Facility in upstate New York.

It was Chapman’s sixth appearance before the board since becoming eligible for parole in 2000. He will be eligible again in 2012.

Chapman, 55, had been scheduled to appear last month, but the hearing was postponed by parole officials, who said at the time they were awaiting additional information.

After Tuesday’s decision, the board wrote to Chapman that it remains concerned about “the disregard you displayed for the norms of our society and the sanctity of human life when, after careful planning, you traveled to New York for the sole purpose of killing John Lennon.”

The panel said “release remains inappropriate at this time and incompatible with the welfare of the community.”

Among those who have opposed his release is Lennon’s now 77-year-old widow, Yoko Ono, who said last month that she believed Chapman is a potential threat to her family and perhaps himself.

The former maintenance man from Hawaii was sentenced to 20 years to life in prison after firing five shots outside Lennon’s Manhattan building on Dec. 8, 1980, hitting Lennon four times in front of his wife and others. He pleaded guilty to second-degree murder.

At his last parole hearing, in 2008, Chapman told the panel he was ashamed and sorry for what he had done and had since developed a deeper understanding of the value of a human life.

He said he had been seeking notoriety and fame to counter feelings of failure.

After that interview, parole officials noted that Chapman had not been disciplined in prison since 1994 and said he had adjusted to his incarceration. But they denied release “due to concern for the public safety and welfare,” according to the written decision.

Chapman was informed of the panel’s most recent finding a few hours after the hearing. The state Division of Parole is expected to release a transcript of the interview within the next several days.

Lennon would have turned 70 this October.

Advertisements

The URI to TrackBack this entry is: https://alancook.wordpress.com/2010/09/08/mark-chapman-denied-parole-again/trackback/

RSS feed for comments on this post.

2 CommentsLeave a comment

  1. I M BRAZILIAN AND 57 YEARS OLD1 I LIVED IN BRAZIL WHEN MY IDOL LENNON WAS MURDERED, AND YESTERDAY, AT 03-04-2011, I FELT MYSELF VERY HAPPY BECAUSE I WENT TO NEW YORK CITY, AND I TOKE PICTURES IN FRONT OF THE DAKOTA BUILD! THE EXACTLY PLACE WEHERE LENNON DIED! I M VERY HAPPY BECAUSE HIS MURDER STILL IN A PRISON AND I HOPE HE STILL OVER THERE FOREVER!

  2. I doubt he’ll ever get out.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: